Michael Poole wrote:

> In hopes that this would fix the APXS build, I tried rebuilding with
> that, but whenever the httpd tried to load the php3 or perl module, it
> would die in pthread_mutex_lock.  This was slightly odd, since php3
> would load fine when httpd was statically linked against mod_perl.
> For the time being, I'll just roll back to using static mod_perl and
> dynamic mod_ssl and php3.

No, that's what you would expect.  The problem is being caused because
perl amd mod_perl are being built to be largefile aware, whereas by
default Apache is not.  By following Doug's instructions to let mod_perl
build httpd you are building it with the same flags needed to make
perl/modperl largefile aware, so Apache too ends up being largefile
aware and all the bits then are in sync.

If you use APXS you are building Apache seperately and with the standard
config, i.e. not largefile aware, so it breaks.  If you want to use APXS
you have to build Apache to be largefile aware yourself.  On Solaris at
least the way to do this is to set CFLAGS='-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64' in your environment before invoking the Apache
configure.

--
Alan Burlison