even though cliff said:
>I don't think you are using the Files directive properly.
>Try something like this:
>
>       <DirectoryMatch /root/of/webmaster/area/>
>         <FilesMatch ".*\.html?$">
>           SetHandler  perl-script
>           PerlHandler Apache::ePerl
>           Options     +ExecCGI
>         </FilesMatch>
>       </DirectoryMatch>
and he's probaly got something there--but if netscape is
getting eperl-processed html and explorer is getting the
source to the perl-bristled code, there's something very
odd going on there.

whether you use lynx or opera or icab, the browser should
get what the server sends out, and -- UNLESS you have
browser-specific settings somewhere -- they should ALL
receive the exact same stuff.

i.e. if you turn off eperl, then everyone will see the
perl that bristles throughout your html. if it's on
and working, then all browsers will get the resulting
html markup.

...unless you have some browser-specific gizmo happening,
which (if my fading gray cells are working) is possible
in apache.

[as a security measure, to hide the inner workings of our
website, we use .htaccess frequently to enable eperl here
and there while letting the user think everything is just
a plain old html file, as in:
        # .htaccess settings file:
        <Files {somePatternMaybe}.html>
                SetHandler perl-script
                PerlHandler Apache::ePerl
                Options +ExecCGI
        </Files>
hopefully this will make it more difficult for black-hatted
sniffers to know what's happening behind the scenes...
now if we could only get apache to not identify itself
in the "Server:" header...]