On Fri, 19 May 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2000, Randy Kobes wrote:
>
> > Another thing that was configured in is that words have
> > to be at least 3 characters long, which seems reasonable,
> > and also there's some stopwords that don't get indexed,
> > as they're too common. This list of stopwords is built
> > by hand - so far it only includes 'perl' and 'modperl'.
> > Also, the maximum number of hits is set at 30.
>
> It should also index $/, etc. So limiting to >2char words is another
> broken aspect...

Seems like for Perl documentation there should be no limiting at all, or
may be one character is the only option...

> But I'm not complaining! It's 100% better than it was. Maybe someone
> would like my code for a db backed search engine and fix that up to
> something that could work? It's all built in perl so you're free to add
> and remove stopwords or change the min word length as you like.

That would be nice to see. I'm afraid I'll continue on working on guide.
So if there anyone with a few free minutes on his hands, he/she might like
to contribute something back to community ;)

Ideally, when we complete the tuning of the search engine, we will be able
to have the whole site, apache::asp and embperl pages searchable as well.
(with Perl style documentation in mind).

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://perl.org     http://stason.org/TULARC
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org