Greetings,

[i sent this once, but think it got hung up at the mail server... my
apologies if this already went through]

I've run into some interesting behaviors with the PerlFreshRestart
directive.  If I understand correctly, this directive is supposed to force
modules to reload when you execute `apachectl restart`, but should
otherwise have no effect on performance.

On our work servers, enabling "PerlFreshRestart On" in our main conf file
caused absolutely incredible and unbearable slow downs.  The performance
hit was amazing.  Pages that normally take 15 seconds or so to load (very
large pulls out of a networked Oracle database) took 3 to 4
minutes.  Smaller pages that normally come up instantly (still database
driven) take 15 to 20 seconds.

My home machine did not experience any performance hits, but did experience
strange but reproducible problems loading modules on startup.  If the
module hadn't changed, it wouldn't reload, but change the module and things
work again.  Stopping the server completely and restarting it didn't help,
only changing the module did.

Both sites are made up of several modules, and several cgi's running under
Apache::Registry with Apache::StatINC enabled.

I'm sure I'm missing something that you need to know, so feel free to
ask... it was a long night last night...

David Veatch - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Many people would sooner die than think.
In fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell