RH> I am having a problem getting mod_perl to actually load under apache (as a
RH> DSO) on BSDi/4.1... it appears that (even though the file exists in the
RH> proper location) it cannot find libperl.so.  I double/triple checked that

Here's the mod_perl config I use under 4.0.1; it should work for 4.1
unless something drastic changed in the dynamic loader, which I doubt.

save as makepl_args.mod_perl one level up from your mod_perl source
directory.  alter the modules listed as you see fit.

Be sure you have mod_perl 1.24 which is the latest.

# for Apache 1.3.6 and mod_perl 1.19+
# PERL_POST_READ_REQUEST=1 PERL_TIE_TABLES=1 PERL_SSI=1
# PERL_STACKED_HANDLERS=1 USE_APACI=1
EVERYTHING=1 USE_DSO=1 USE_APACI=1
APACI_ARGS=--with-layout=../apache-bsdi.layout:bsdi
APACI_ARGS=--enable-module=all
APACI_ARGS=--enable-shared=max
#APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=env
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=log_config
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=mime
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=status
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=info
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=include
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=dir
#APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=alias
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=access
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=auth
APACI_ARGS=--disable-shared=setenvif

# use apxs to compile mod_auth_mysql.c and mod_auth_cookie.c