CN> But the guide seems to be saying that the speed of the client isn't
CN> an issue--the process (proxy _or_ mod_perl) is released as soon as it
CN> finishes putting the outputted page into the OS socket buffer. I assume
CN> "released" means it can go and serve another request. Am I reading it
CN> wrong?

But that's exactly *why* the speed of the client is important.  If
your client is slow, say a 28.8 modem in Sri Lanka, then your httpd is
stuck spoon-feeding the client until all data is transferred.  Would
you rather that spoon-feeding be done by a 30Mb mod_perl server or a
512kb proxy server?  Now, multiply the spoon-feeders by 100 and
re-evaluate your decision.