I have a number of apache servers on various hosts, not all of them are to
be mod_perl enabled.  So, I tried to build apache with mod_perl as a DSO in
order to enable mod_perl via the httpd.conf file if needed.

I tried building mod_perl-1.24 as a DSO for apache-1.3.14 on my Irix
platform.  Building went well, I got a libperl.so etc.

However, the resulting httpd failed during make test, with a message about
not being able to find PL_curpad when loading IO.so - similar to what is
described in mod_perl_traps.pod.

The unsatisfied symbol is in libperl.a.

This looks like mod_perl as DSO *requires* perl to be built with
-Duseshrplib .  Is this correct?

I like the improvements in mod_perl Makefile.PL which checks consistency
between perl and apache regarding -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE.  If USE_DSO=1
requires a perl built with -Duseshrplib, perhaps mod_perl Makefile.PL could
be modified to check this as well?

--- benedict

--
Benedict Lofstedt     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
University of Aarhus, Department of Computer Science      Fax:   + 45 8942 3255