Hi Folks,

In keeping with the now-established tradition of posting mod_perl jobs on this list,
please indulge this posting...

I've morphed into the CTO (i.e. chief technical cook and bottle-washer) of a
1-year-old startup, INNX / InterNetworkNews.

We've built a fast-growing company that runs entirely on Linux, Perl, Apache,
mod_perl, Embperl, ssh, rsync, DBI, emacs, netatalk, and lots of other great
open-source tools.  We have created some extremely interesting Web applications for
internal and external use.  Thanks to the power of OS tools, I've been able to do all
development and integration single-handedly ... till now.

Due to an upcoming growth spurt, we're planning on hiring a whole technical team to
move our technologies forward, and of course, we're still committed to open source
tools.

We need to hire a Senior Web Engineer -- someone to own the primary vision for all of
our systems and applications.  This a great opportunity for the right
Linux/Perl/apache guru.  We hope you're out there!

I've attached a job description below.  We are also planning to hire a few more junior
people with skills similar to those outlined below, but perhaps with less
directly-related experience, to work on specific Web development tasks.  I've not
included a separate job description for these positions, but resumes are welcome.

You're encouraged to forward this message to anyone you know who might be interested.
If you know of another forum in which a posting of this message would be welcome, let
me know and I'll post it there.

Thanks,

-chris

Position:

Senior Web Engineer

The Company:

INNX/InterNetwork News, http://innx.com/, based in San Diego, CA, is a pre-IPO
broadcast media news service and start-up venture that produces and distributes TV
news and Web content. Our company is establishing itself as the dominant provider of
syndicated thematic news programming and content to traditional and emerging broadcast
outlets.  In short, we produce top-quality, ethical, and unbiased TV news and Web news
of the highest caliber achieved anywhere in the industry.  We are an equal-opportunity
employer committed to diversity in the workplace.

INNX has been in operation since June 1999 (broadcasting and publishing daily since
August 1999) and is now in its second round of capital funding.  For a sample of our
news programming, please see http://healthsurfing.com/.  Our programming is also
featured daily on http://health.yahoo.com/.

All of our critical systems are based on open-source tools and techniques and we
remain committed to open source processes and values.

Position Reports To:

Chief Technical Officer

Position Based:

San Diego, CA

This is an opportunity to be part of a dynamic and rapidly growing team-based
organization.  The candidate will help with all aspects of web development, and
support and maintenance of our Linux-based corporate infrastructure.

Candidate must be self-directed and understand how to identify and remove performance
bottlenecks, design and write high-performance, reliable, and maintainable code.
Should enjoy writing and using good documentation. Startup experience is preferred.

Personal qualities and requirements:

- Great written and spoken communication skills
- A sense of pride in onešs work.
- Ability to work irregular hours
- Ability to be on call to respond to system outages
- Ability to create and follow specifications
- Thorough, detailed, and systematic approach to problems
- Ability to identify general, rather than merely specific, solutions
- Ability to identify tradeoffs among potential solutions
- Personal history of technical leadership
- Ability and desire to mentor more junior engineers
- Active participation in the Open Source community

Specific Skill Requirements:

- Perl wizardry
- Apache and mod_perl expertise
- Intermediate to advanced Unix systems administration & automation
- Web application development experience
- Must be a fast, efficient, self-motivated programmer
- Experience with IP network setup and design
- Must know how to learn anything
- Ability to come up to speed quickly with new technologies
- Embperl or similar HTML-page-generation languages, e.g. ASP, WebObjects

Additional qualities and skills sought, listed in order of significance:

- Familiarity with large server farms and load-balancing issues
- Comfortable working with many platforms (primarily Unix and Mac)
- Familiarity with Mac/Unix and Windows/Unix integration issues
- Experience with Linux and Red Hat in particular
- Experience working on a product development team
- A good feeling for configuration management issues
- Experience working with non-engineers (e.g. news producers and writers)
- Familiarity with other programming languages: C/C++/Java
- SQL (esp. mysql) database experience
- HTML / DHTML / JavaScript expertise
- Familiarity with basic XML concepts
- Page design skills
- Windows NT administration
- Digital video experience
- Digital imaging and image format knowledge

Pluses:

- Really amazing code samples or web applications
- History of public technical contributions (What's your CPAN id?)
- News and/or video domain experience
- Experience setting up Quality Assurance processes
- Books/articles/talks you have written or given
- Extraordinary extracurricular skills (e.g. musicianship)

Compensation:

This is a senior position at a rapidly growing company.  Compensation will meet or
exceed industry standards and will be in line with the skills and degree of
self-direction and flexibility demonstrated by the successful candidate.
Opportunities for growth and advancement will abound for the candidate that
demonstrates the ability to do the work of 20 ordinary people while still leaving lots
of time for a satisfying personal life.

Benefits Include:

- Training period with a Perl/Linux/mod_perl/Web applications guru
- Professional development opportunities including conferences
- VPN link to your home DSL LAN to enable some work from home
- Ability to work with and learn from highly-skilled peers
- Encouragement to participate in the Open Source community
- Stock Option Plan (Pre-IPO)
- Medical and Dental, Life, Vision Plans
- 401-K
- Cafeteria and Flex plans
- Vacation
- Fantastic San Diego location

Relocation assistance and/or hiring and retention bonuses are negotiable.

========

Respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with questions about the job, or submit your resume and
references to:

Human Resources, c/o Rebecca MacGowan
WebFeeds, Inc.
3940 - 4th Ave. #300
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 688-0450
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Preferred formats: Plain-Text, PDF, MS Word