Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > I think it doesn't matter whether it's a script or a module.
> >
> > So if startup.pl contains:
> >
> > use CGI ;
> > use DBI ;
> > use My::Application ;
> >
> > Then there's no gain?
>
> Of course there is!
>
> I'm talking about a completely diffent thing. Let me repeat this again.
>
> Spawning of the child process has almost nothing to do with code. When the
> process is spawned it's memory pages are _shared_ with parents, and the
> child process has almost no pages on its own.

So, we have:

 - initial apache startup:
         compile stuff that's in startup.pl

- the Apache::Registry script gets run:
         compile the Apache::Registry script[0]
         memory pages get dirtied as we touch various bits of memory
         connect to any resources[1]

[0] Which, ideally is just a stub.

[1] Subsequently these connections can be cached, say in code that
knows about Apache::Registry, or for free with Apache::DBI.

Are we nearer now?

I was having a block about pre-forking threads and running a script
for the first time, not trying to be deliberately obtuse.

--
Dave Hodgkinson,                             http://www.hodgkinson.org
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com