Though not using rh 6.2, my experience on 6.1 was the
same --- apache will crash whenever use Apache::DBI
is included in httpd.conf. I'm now using manually
compiled apache and modperl and they are working fine.
Hope this will also work for 6.2.

On small glitch, Apache::Status cannot show Apache::DBI
connections on rh 6.1 i386, while the same setting works
on a rh 6.1 sparc!
--
Guo Bin