This is somewhat off the topic of your original post, but I have to admit
that I really am a tad alarmed at the interest in storing a credit card
number in a local session.

Usually CC numbers should at most either be emailed (PGPed) directly to the
customer without any temp file creation or passed through to a payment
gateway.  That way there is no persistence of that sort of customer
information stored anywhere on the server.

At 04:50 PM 7/6/00 -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
>Perrin-
>
> > Is there a reason you can't use the OO interface that Apache::Session
> > comes with?
> >
> > $session->STORE('visa_number') = '7';
> > print $session->FETCH('visa_number');
> > $session->DELETE('visa_number');
>
>This isn't really a documented interface - it's an overloading of the
>tie methods so that the tied hash interface works. You can't find this
>by reading the manpage for Apache::Session, only by reading through the
>module itself or knowing enough about tie to know it's there.
>
> > If your module is using the tied interface to Apache::Session to do its
> > work, you're getting the worst of both worlds in terms of performance.
>
>Not sure quite what you mean, maybe you can clarify? Won't You always
>need to tie %session to Apache::Session::____ to create the initial
>object, unless I'm missing something? Are you just referring to using
>FETCH, STORE, and DELETE directly inside the methods (i.e., rather than
>$session{'param'} use $session->FETCH('param') ?)
>
> > AUTOLOAD methods can be an additional slowdown if you don't cache
> > AUTOLOADed methods (i.e. if AUTOLOAD has to resolve the methods every
> > time).
>
>Good point.
>
> > I can see reasons for creating an OO module that subclasses
> > Apache::Session, but I would do it to add methods that don't map directly
> > to a single hash key.
>
>Exactly why I'm doing it:
>
>    $session->visa_number(501);
>    $session->visa_number;
>
>same function, but it maps to a combination of FETCH and STORE depending
>on the arguments.
>
>-Nate

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eXtropia - The Web Technology Company