Sorry, I'm not a master. But I try to answer your question.
This is because your installation not successful. Try to install
mod_perl again with perl-5.6.0. I 've tried it and it worked good.
The script CGI you embedded is not running under mod_perl, but it run as a
common CGI.
The installation step like here

        $ perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1 DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1
        APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.6/src APACHE_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache
        $ make
        $ make test TEST_VERBOSE=1
        $ make install
        then restart your apache