On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:

> "Keith G. Murphy" wrote:
>
> > ___cliff rayman___ wrote:
> > >
> > > The perl interpreter has a one global symbol table called the stash where
> > > all global variables are referenced by package and by variable name.
> > > Since the interpreter does not go away when a script is recompiled, neither
> > > does the stash or any of the items contained within it.  Some programmers
> > > are probably using this as a feature, and therefore it is unlikely that it
> > > will change.
> > > This is really standard perl stuff and it has nothing to do with
> > > Apache::Registry in particular.  It is just something the average perl
> > > programmer does not come across since we usually load the interpreter, load
> > > a program, run the program, exit the interpreter.
> > >
> > > check out:
> > > http://thingy.kcilink.com/modperlguide/porting/Global_Variables_Persistence.html
> > >
> > Thanks for the info and the link.
> >
> > One note though.  The info in the link really doesn't pertain to my
> > specific question:
> >
> > "global variables persist inside the same process from request to
> > request"
> >
> > I knew that; I was surprised that they did even on a recompilation of
> > the script, which the link info doesn't really refer to.
>
> i will see if i can find a good place in the guide to add it and i'll send stas the
> patch.

I'm not sure there is a need for a patch. I think you confuse,
something. When the script is recompiled all the variables belonging to
the package decalared by Apache::Registry or similar are getting reset. If
you require/use() some modules that declare packages and have global
variables -- these won't be reset unless reloaded or initialized in your
code.

> > *You* have straightened me out, on the other hand.
> >
> > So, lessee, BEGIN { somevar=somevalue; } ought to work for a variable I
> > want reinitialized at compilation only...

Not if you are talking about the scripts running under Apache::Registry
and friends, please read the guide.
http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#BEGIN_blocks

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://perl.org     http://stason.org/TULARC
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org