It was intended to be sent to the list I guess :) oh, well...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:26:29 -0500
From: George Sanderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIGTERM/SIGKILL at the stop/restart events

At 11:18 AM 8/31/00 +0200, you wrote:
>I'm documenting the PERL_DESTRUCT_LEVEL options, which skips the
>perl_destruct() call. At the same place I also mention that whe you
>stop/restart Apache, the parent first sends the SIGTERM (nice) kill signal
>to the children, advising them to quit.
>
>So the parent waits for a few secs and then becomes unpatient and sends
>the cruel SIGKILL saying:
>
>There is nothing you can do against the cruel sysadmin so there comes
>a last cry:
>
>and voila the processes has been killed.
>
>And one of the nice folks has pointed out that it doesn't matter whether
>you have the PERL_DESTRUCT_LEVEL option set to -1, if the processes get
>brutally killed, they will not complete their destroy/end blocks and
>therefore nasty things might happen.
>
>Anyone can comment on this possible problem? I've seen many times the
>Apache processes being killed with kill -9 (SIGKILL), but I had never had
>a significant cleanup to do. Do you?
>
>Because if there is a problem even a potential, it should be fixed or
>prevented fron happening I think.
>
>Thanks a lot!

I am also mystified by the whole Apache/mod_perl start/stop process.

If someone has any good references or comments about this subject, please,
provide them.

I have a root httpd SIGHUP issue, where an Apache mod_perl module
(Apache::Icon) fails to reread directives from the httpd.conf file.  It's
as if the module gets removed but never re- added after a SIGHUP, therefore
the root httpd process also dies (no joy:(.

I hope you don't mind my removing the theatrics form the above message (if
so, sorry).