On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Bill Moseley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some basic questions here:
>
> I hope I didn't miss anything in the Guide at install.html and in
> control.html, but I was looking for any suggestions on upgrading mod_perl
> and Perl on a running production machine to limit the amount of down time.
>
> Is it typical to just do a make install with mod_perl on a running
> production server, then restart httpd?  Or do people tend to take down the
> server, make install to update the Apache::* files, copy the httpd binary
> and then restart?
>
> And what about perl5.6?  Have most people been installing it on existing
> 5.00503, so that @INC also includes the site_perl/5.005 directories or
> building a new 5.6 tree and using CPAN autobundle to move and update
> modules into the new version?

I won't do anything on the live server, but installing RPM, or a similar
package tested on another machine. It takes a few seconds to install new
stuff (and remove old) and a few more secs to restart the server -- you
are done.

Another approach is to use CVS, if you have a very fast connection, so you
can ensure that all the data will be updated very fast.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com   perl.org   apache.org