On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Jim Winstead wrote:
> On Sep 24, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
> > The PerlCookbook seemed to indicate that mkdir is an atomic operation (both
> > checks if the directory exists and creates it if it does not), so a locking
> > mechanism based on mkdir would take care of this issue
> > presumably.  Removing the lock is a matter of removing the directory.
> be careful, mkdir isn't really atomic under nfs.

But NFS is Not a File System, so this doesn't matter :)

The other possible atomic operation that things use for locking
(emacs/netsacpe etc) is symlink() but you don't get that on win32, so not
a great suggestion here, but you don't get NFS on win32 either.

MBM (wittering before disappearing off to YAPC)

--
I'm not even going to *bother* comparing C to BASIC or FORTRAN.
                                            -- L. Zolman, creator of BDS C