On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Carlos Ramirez wrote:

> $r->auth_name($realm), $r->auth_type($basic) did not work for me, which
> is why I used the $r->header_out method. Also, after I set the outgoing
> header and returned AUTH_REQUIRED, I got prompted but the $realm did not
> show. Instead it displayed 'unknown' as the realm name. But when I set
> the $r->status and sent out the response via $r->send_http_header and
> returned AUTH_REQUIRED, the $realm name showed?

$r->auth_name($realm) works fine, provided you call
$r->note_basic_auth_failure, rather than
$r->header_out('WWW-Authenticate',...)

$r->auth_type did not become writeable until the patch i posted earlier.

> I read the docs as i started this exercise and was aware of
> $r->auth_name, $r->auth_type, but since they did'nt work and I kept
> getting segfaults when using them I decided to try other routes. But
> anyways I'm glad that I read the docs right and that you can indeed set
> the AuthName using $r->auth_name.

until the recent change where $r->auth_type became writeable, and
get_basic_auth_pw/note_basic_auth_failure default AuthType to Basic if it
is not configured, those methods would segfault.