On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ricardo Stella wrote:

> Solaris 2.8
> Apache 1.3.12
> GCC 2.95.2
> Perl 5.6.0
> Enterprise 250 (64bitish)
> Modperl 1.24
>
> I can't get modperl compiled as a DSO neither via the 'flexible-method'
> nor the APXS method.
>
> The first method, seg faults.
>
> The second method won't configure, stating I should not build mod-perl
> as a DSO or compile perl with -Ubincompat5005.
>
> My current perl was compiled with bincompat5005 (perl -V:bincompat5005
> shows as 'defined')

exactly, -Ubincompat5005 will _un_ define bincompat5005, perl
-V:bincompat5005 should report: bincompat5005='undef';

this is a requirement for solaris (or any Perl where Perl's malloc is
used, rather than system malloc) , because Perl's malloc with
bincompat5005 will pollute malloc() and free() into the main server, then
when mod_perl's dso is closed (it is closed/re-opened at startup), the
everything in the main server using free/malloc now has a function pointer
into la-la land.  when you turn off bincompat5005, then Perl's malloc/free
are namespace protected, so only Perl uses Perl's malloc.