Might have figured out the problem, and it might be an apache issue
dealing with largefiles:

I compiled apache cleanly as:
./configure \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/apache2" \
"--enable-module=most" \
"--enable-shared=max" \

This worked.  'apachectl configtest' did not complain.

Then I compiled mod_perl as:

 $ perl Makefile.PL \
     USE_APXS=1 \
     WITH_APXS=/path/to/bin/apxs \
     EVERYTHING=1 \

And I got the following error message:

Your Perl is uselargefiles enabled, but Apache is not, suggestions:
    *) Rebuild Apache with CFLAGS="-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
    *) Rebuild Perl with Configure -Uuselargefiles
    *) Let mod_perl build Apache (USE_DSO=1 instead of USE_APXS=1)

So I cleand and compiled apache again, but enabling these CFLAGS.
Apache chocked on mod_negotiation.

Any ideas now ???

Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ricardo Stella wrote:
>
> > Solaris 2.8
> > Apache 1.3.12
> > GCC 2.95.2
> > Perl 5.6.0
> > Enterprise 250 (64bitish)
> > Modperl 1.24
> >
> > I can't get modperl compiled as a DSO neither via the 'flexible-method'
> > nor the APXS method.
> >
> > The first method, seg faults.
> >
> > The second method won't configure, stating I should not build mod-perl
> > as a DSO or compile perl with -Ubincompat5005.
> >
> > My current perl was compiled with bincompat5005 (perl -V:bincompat5005
> > shows as 'defined')
>
> exactly, -Ubincompat5005 will _un_ define bincompat5005, perl
> -V:bincompat5005 should report: bincompat5005='undef';
>
> this is a requirement for solaris (or any Perl where Perl's malloc is
> used, rather than system malloc) , because Perl's malloc with
> bincompat5005 will pollute malloc() and free() into the main server, then
> when mod_perl's dso is closed (it is closed/re-opened at startup), the
> everything in the main server using free/malloc now has a function pointer
> into la-la land.  when you turn off bincompat5005, then Perl's malloc/free
> are namespace protected, so only Perl uses Perl's malloc.

 Ricardo Stella                                  O.I.T.
 (609)896-5000 x7436           _suAve_           Rider University
  *** Remove 'no-spam' from e-mail address before replying.  ***
begin:vcard
adr;dom:;;;Lawrenceville;NJ;08648;
adr:;;2083 Lawreceville Road;Lawrenceville;NJ;08648;
n:Stella;Ricardo
tel;fax:1-609-219-4994
tel;work:1-609-896-5000 x7436
x-mozilla-html:FALSE