Joe

Your problem is with the RPMs that you're using (I bet). I am guessing
you're using the pre-built ones that come with RH6.1, right?  Don't be
fooled... these are buggy.  You solution is extremely simple and will only
take a short time if you follow the instructions:

1. Use "rpm -e" to remove mod_perl and mod_php, then remove apache.
2. DOWNLOAD THE SOURCES for Apache 1.3.12 and mod_perl 1.24
3. Build them from the source tarballs.  You probably want to enable
   "EVERYTHING" when you build mod_perl.  Make sure you build a new apache
   executable with mod_perl statically linked in.  This
   apache executable takes a bit more RAM but it's faster and way
   more stable.
4. To make sure that your new httpd has mod_perl built in, execute
   httpd -l
   and it should list its modules.  If mod_perl appears, you're golden.
5. Remove all the LoadModule and AddModule stuff from your httpd.conf,
   restart apache, and if it doesn't work, I'd be very surprised...

I had the same problem as you (although it was LinuxPPC2000). As did many
others in the past (do a search for "SIGSEGV" or "core dump" or
"segmentation fault" in the mailing list archives...), and it's a bummer of
a bug because it doesn't bite you until you try something slightly difficult
(uhhhhh, like "PerlModule Apache::DBI") and it explodes.

cheers

kyle
--
kyle dawkins