ed phillips wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Check out the guide at
>
> http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html#Forking_and_Executing_Subprocess
>
> The Eagle book also covers the C API subprocess details on page 622-631.
>
> Let us know if the guide is unclear to you, so we can improve it.

Yeah, it's a bit unclear. If I understand correctly, it's suggesting
that I do a system() call and have the perl script called detach itself
from Apache, yes? I'm not too sure I like this approach. I was hoping
for something a little more integrated. And how much overhead are we
talking about getting taken up by this approach?

Using the cleanup phase, as Geoffey Young suggests, might be a bit
nicer, but I'll have to look into how much time my processing will
likely take, hogging up an apache fork while it finishes.

Either way, I'll have to think about various ways to handle this stuff,
since I'm writing it into a regular Perl module that will then be called
from mod_perl...

Thanks,

David