at a time earlier than now, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> This may be a stupid question... but anyway...

 no way. Apache::DBI and DBI kind of cheat and automagically make stuff
 happen. it's very cool, but it can also be hard to extend or modify for
 specific situations.

> This works great, because most of the web site uses a "generic" user to connect to
>the database. However I do authentication via the database ( i.e : attempt a
>connection using supplied user/pwd and if so set a cookie and continue on using the
>generic user/pwd) , and these "once only" connections persist too.

 would it be better to query a table, maybe a system table, to verify login?
 i assume you are using ssl to encrypt these user/password pairs, but it
 doesn't seem as though you have a need for a connection.

 of course, it is probably just a political situation where the users who are
 logging in already have accounts, you don't have access to system tables b/c
 the dba doesn't want let you and so on.

 *** i did not test i am not recommending i am not responsible ***

 anyway... you could probably just get away with calling connect like this:

  DBI->connect('dbi:mysql:dbname=db','user','pass',
                {attr=>value},
                undef,
                'connect');

 which will set $connect_meth to it's default value

    my $connect_via = "connect";

 and set connect_meth to 'connect' and not 'Apache::DBI::connect'

    $connect_via = "Apache::DBI::connect";

 so that when this code runs you are good to go without Apache::DBI.

 $drh->$connect_meth($dsn, $user, $pass, $attr)

 he he. ugh. take a look at the DBI.pm source, you'll see what's going on.

 aaron

 let me know what happens