On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:

> Most modern DBMS software should be able to handle 50 queries per second
> on decent hardware, provided the conditions are right. You're not going to
> get anything better with flat files.

Hmm... I guess it all depends on what your queries look like, but you can
get better results from flat files if you put them in a percise layout.
Granted if you are talking about having a million lines in a single
flat file, then I definately agree with you.

I really think that sometimes going for a flat file layout *can* be much
more reliable and scalable then RDBMS software. It all really depends on
what you plan to do with the data and what you would like to get out of
it.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                         [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Covalent Technologies, Inc.                           http://www.covalent.net/