On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Sander van Zoest wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
> Lots of places use databases for read-only queries. Having a database
> that gets lots of similar queries that are read-only makes it an
> unnecessary single point of failure. Why not use the local disk and
> use rsync to replicate the data around. This way if a machine goes down,
> the others still have a full copy of the content and keep on running.

What is the actual use of the flat files in this case? Wouldn't generating
your HTML offline be better if your data is that static?

> You can do things terribly using Oracle and you can do things well using
> Oracle. The same can be said about just about everything. ;-)

You put your point well, and my only remaining point is that I think its
far far easier to screw up a flat file system by not taking into account
locking issues (just look at all those perl hit-counters that did it
wrong), and perhaps some reliability issues, than it is with a real
database. Caveat emptor, and all that.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **