On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, martin langhoff wrote:

> hi,
>
>       this HTTP protocol (definition and actual implementation) question is
> making me mad. Will (and should) a cookie be valid withing the same
> host/domain/subdirectory when changing PORT numbers?

well.. by my reading of the RFC, and I might be wrong, but it looks like
port should be ignored in cases where the hostname is used in the uri.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc2109.html

   The terms request-host and request-URI refer to the values the client
   would send to the server as, respectively, the host (but not port)
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
   and abs_path portions of the absoluteURI (http_URL) of the HTTP
   request line.  Note that request-host must be a FQHN.

   The user agent keeps separate track of state information that arrives
   via Set-Cookie response headers from each origin server (as
   distinguished by name or IP address and port).  The user agent
   applies these defaults for optional attributes that are missing:

Am I reading this incorrectly?

--
   Blue Lang, Unix Voodoo Priest
   202 Ashe Ave, Apt 3, Raleigh, NC.                          919 835 1540