----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Sergeant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
.

> > To redirect incoming url's that require database work to mod_perl
'heavy'
> > servers? Just like a smarter and more dynamic mod_rewrite? Yes?
>
> Yes basically, except its not a redirect. mod_backhand can use keep-alives
> to ensure that it never has to recreate a new connection to the heavy
> backend servers, unlike mod_rewrite or mod_proxy. And it can do it in a
> smart way so that remote connections don't use keepalives (because they
> are evil for mod_perl servers - see the mod_perl guide), but backhand
> connections do. Very very cool technology.

Is there any way to tie proxy requests mapped by mod_rewrite to
a balanced set of servers through mod_backhand (or anything
similar)?    Also, can mod_backhand (or any alternative) work
with non-apache back end servers?    I'm really looking for a way
to let mod_rewrite do the first cut at deciding where (or whether)
to send a request, but then be able to send to a load balanced, fail
over set, preferably without having to interpose another physical
proxy.

    Les Mikesell
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]