Howdy,

I have an application that's pure mod_perl -- its modules use the request
object to do a few bits of work like reading parameters, query string,
specialized logging, dealing with NOT_MODIFIED, and so on.  Normal stuff
provided by the methods of Apache, Apache::Util, Apache::URI and
Apache::Connection.

Now, I'd like to use a few of my modules under CGI -- for an administration
part of the application that's bigger and not used enough to use up space
in the mod_perl server.  But it would be nice to have a common code base.

So, I'm writing a replacement module of those classes and supporting just
the few methods I need.  I'm using CGI.pm, URI, HTTP::Date and so on to
handle those few mod_perl methods I'm using in my modules.

For example, I have a function that does specialized logging that I want to
use both under mod_perl and CGI.  So, this would work under CGI

   my $r = Apache->request;
   my $remote = $r->connection->remote_ip;

where in the replacement package Apache::Connection:

   sub remote_ip { $ENV{REMOTE_ADDR} }

Before I spend much time, has this already been done?

Might be kind of cool if one could get new CGI programmers to write all
their CGI applications like mod_perl handlers -- could run as CGI on other
servers, but when they want speed they are ready to use mod_perl.

Anyway, does a mod_perl emulator for CGI exist?

Bill Moseley
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]