Hi all,

Just in case this may help others in coping with the install of mod_perl on
Tru64, here are a few more info:

After installing mod_perl 1.24_01 into Apache 1.3.14 statically on the
DU4.0b system and getting it done all the way without errors besides the
usual warnings, I found out that it really doesn't work. The perl in use on
that system is 5.6 and I think it's the source of most troubles. I built
mod_perl like this:

CC="cc"
export CC
perl Makefile.PL \
 APACHE_SRC=../apache/src \
 EVERYTHING=1 \
 PERL_TRACE=1 \
 USE_APACI=1 \
 DO_HTTPD=1 \
 PREP_HTTPD=1

just like we should (I think), then did the make and make install but I
skipped the make test, which never worked. I installed apache with modperl
static and all other standard modules as DSOs, then added php4 as a DSO
afterwards. PHP4 "kinda" worked because a simple page giving out its status
info actually does work, but modperl doesn't. I don't really want to roll
back perl on that system, it has too many users and too much traffic to mess
with it that way.
I did however try this same thing on the Tru64 5.1 system and same thing,
PHP ended up working (at least for a while) but modperl just wouldn't work.
So I rolled back to perl 5.00501 and did the whole thing from scratch, using
the same script as above on the modperl side, with the make and make install
(skipping test) then did the build of apache with:

CC="cc" \
CFLAGS="-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" \
./configure \
"--with-layout=config.mylayout:MyApache" \
"--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a" \
"--server-uid=httpd" \
"--server-gid=httpd" \
"--enable-module=most" \
"--enable-module=perl" \
"--enable-shared=max" \
"--disable-shared=perl"

and a couple of other things like suexec. I haven't tried to use modperl as
a DSO on that system again, so I'm not sure it would work or not.
I also added PHP4 as a DSO after the install and that worked (also for a
while) and modperl seems now to be working. The only problem I have to solve
now is "why the heck did php work for a while then stopped working because
of some unresolved symbol without changing anything in the config????"!
Beats me! I haven't found that out yet, even after re-building php from
scratch again twice, it still won't work because of that un-resolved symbol
"php_sig_gif". Other than that the modperl/apache tandem seems ok for now
and I hope I can resolve this php thing without having to rebuild the whole
thing. (if anyone knows about this un-resolved symbol, give me a hint..)

But in any case, trying to use perl 5.6 is nothing but trouble and if
someone has been able to make all this work with it, I'd like to know how!

--
Didier Godefroy
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]