At 11:02 PM 11/19/00 +0100, you wrote:
>| Is there a way to tell the browser(s) not to make this same substitution
>in
>| the near future?
>| Or, is there a better way to do a one time only redirect from within a
>| dynamic page?
>
>I don't expect IE to do anything by the rules, but maybe you can experiment
>with sending an explicit Status: 303, as described on
>http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3.4

Yes, the 303 status code is exactly what I needed.  I also tried setting
the "Expire" time to a negative and a small positive time in conjunction
with the "normal" REDIRECT (302) status return code, but IE 5 still did not
hack the response favorably.

I hope that SEE_OTHER  {302} can be added to mod_perl's:
FakeRequest.pm
for future reference.