Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is not a real world benchmark. It may generate the real world
> load, but not the real world usage. And once you realize that this
> cool speedup that you show doesn't really happen.

Of course not- I only posted those results to show that under certain
real conditions, it can make a real difference.  Often times a single
url will contain links to 20+ url's on the same server (many of them
304's). If you have keepalives enabled (even if only for 1 or 2 sec's),
the page loading wait is often noticable for modem users.

In my particular line of work, any excess latency is intolerable.
My customers want almost instantaneous page loads, so my servers
are built to accomodate them.  Heavy server loads are not of
paramount concern.

I'm sure that is quite different from what your needs are, and
that's my point. It all depends.

> That's true, my point was the same -- check your numbers and see
> whether it helps or not. Definitely not with ab or any other benchmark
> tool.

Nothing wrong with ab - just know it's limitations (or how to make it
say what you want ;).

--
Joe Schaefer