On 28 Nov 2000, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > This is not a real world benchmark. It may generate the real world
> > load, but not the real world usage. And once you realize that this
> > cool speedup that you show doesn't really happen.
> >

> Of course not- I only posted those results to show that under certain
> real conditions, it can make a real difference.  Often times a single
> url will contain links to 20+ url's on the same server (many of them
> 304's). If you have keepalives enabled (even if only for 1 or 2 sec's),
> the page loading wait is often noticable for modem users.
>
> In my particular line of work, any excess latency is intolerable.
> My customers want almost instantaneous page loads, so my servers
> are built to accomodate them.  Heavy server loads are not of
> paramount concern.
>
> I'm sure that is quite different from what your needs are, and
> that's my point. It all depends.
>
> > That's true, my point was the same -- check your numbers and see
> > whether it helps or not. Definitely not with ab or any other benchmark
> > tool.
> >

> Nothing wrong with ab - just know it's limitations (or how to make it
> say what you want ;).

Joe, I agree with you absolutely. Each one has to evaluate his own
situation and configure things based on the requirement.

I just wanted to make sure that folks won't jump on the wrong conclusion
based on your specific case benchmark to run and enable the KeepAlive on
their machine, which in the average case will sky rocket the memory usage
as the number of tied processes will go up.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com