I am working my way through the eagle book.  I have not used CGI.pm
before.  It is used in many (most?) of the examples.

Is it worth learning to use it?

I am not clear whether the authors are using it because the think it is
the best way to go, or because they already know it ( or created it )and
it is convenient.

I have not done CGI programming before, but have some experience with
java servlets.  It there a compelling reason I should learn it ( other
than that it would help me to understand the book? )

Thanks,
                ~quagly