Ian,

      Using cookies is just one way of overcoming the stateless nature of http.
      The other ways that I know of are to modify the url in some way or to put
      a hidden field in a form.

      The latter only works if you're processing forms of course so for general
      viewing, you need to modify the URL. There are two ways that I have heard
      about.

      1. modify the url to include a session key in the path. To serve html
      pages you'd need to write a custom content handler to rewrite all your
      outgoing page links to include the session key. I haven't seen one on
      CPAN, please let me know if you find one, I could use it too !

      2. authenticate the users and then redirect to a fake host
      session.www.somecorp.com/page/you/wanted/. Then you use a custom handler
      at the translation phase to strip the session key and recover the user
      name from whatever session store you're using.

      I haven't got beyond cookies myself but these are both avenues I need to
      explore in the next few months.

      HTH,

      Simon Wilcox

               From           "Ian Frawley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date   17 October 2000

                [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          Time  19:20

      Copy to         (bcc: Simon Wilcox/BASE/WilliamsLea)

      Bcc     Simon Wilcox/BASE/WilliamsLea

      Fax to

      Subject       Remembering Authentication

Hi all

Is it possible to authenticate a user without having to use the unfriendly login
box provided by browsers, without using cookies?

I have managed to authenticate a user once through some text fields on a HTML
page but unfortunately this does not make the browser remember the user's
authentication information. On subsequent requests to the same secure area
apache requires that the user enters their credentials again.

Is there a way around this? If so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
Hi all

Is it possible to authenticate a user without having to use the unfriendly login box provided by browsers, without using cookies?

I have managed to authenticate a user once through some text fields on a HTML page but unfortunately this does not make the browser remember the user's authentication information. On subsequent requests to the same secure area apache requires that the user enters their credentials again.

Is there a way around this? If so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

   This email contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
   legally privileged.  It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing
   or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by
   replying to this email. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
   use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or reply on this email.