While we're on the topic of advocacy, I'd like to briefly mention the
RTFM reflex.

Most of the people working on these projects are *working*. They have
no time to coddle stupid questions from newbies who didn't *bother* to
RTFM. I do understand that, and I sympathize.

But if we're talking advocacy, I must point out that as a newbie, my
biggest problem was finding out where to look to *find* the manual.
Also, when I was trying to get this system working ~now~, (the
"out-of-the-box" problem we keep seeing), it was frequently important
that I get answers quickly, and though I hated to bother the list with
mundanities, it was a lot faster to ask (and get a response amid the
RTFM's) than to read through a dozen documents to find where the
information I needed, especially when it was ditributed among three or
four of them and I needed to understand the relationships before it
made any sense.....

I know improving the quality and interrelatedness of our documentation
is an ongoing effort, but though I have most often seen a very helpful
and friendly attitude towards (yes, even stupid) questions, I remind us
all that one "RTFM and quit wasting our time, jerk" response will sour
someone on the ENTIRE language, and that the someone might always have
been the next Bill Gates looking for a tool to sponsor....

Personally, I know that I'm less qualified for the in-depth questions,
so I tend to *look* for the misplaced and ignorant requests.
Explaining how to access an entry in a hash isn't worth a lot of
people's time -- but I see those people occasionally spend the time to
point that out. While we're at it, let's always take the extra few
seconds to be *nice* about it, and at least make a token effort while
we mention that there's a better forum for that at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kudos to those of you who have consistently shown that patience, and
raspberries to those who haven't. >:op (thpbpfhtbphff!!!)

And again, finally, many thanks to all of you who have nudged me each
time a little closer towards competency.
Yopu folks are another reason I like Perl. ;o]