Aaron,

That would be a comment from me :)  On Sparc-Solaris 2.6, getting CPAN to
install the dependent modules or even tell you what they are doesn't always
(read - seldom - at least in my experience) work.  In the cases where it
does at least tell you which one, there are several modules with nearly
identical names.  The descriptions are also often virtually identical as
well.

In which case, one is left to resolve the module dependencies by hand.

Module::A
Possibly dependent on Module::B, Module::C, or Module::D
Module B is possibly dependent on B1, B2, or B3
Module C is possibly dependent on C1, C2, or C3
Module D is possibly dependent on D1, D2, or D3

B1 is dependent on ba, bb, or bc
B2 is dependent on bd, be, or bf
B3 is dependent on bg, bh, or bi

Same for Modules C and D.  So, with out doing some extensive empirical
testing, which combination works.......

See why this gets frustrating......

Which means that you get to do a lot of work to find out which combination
will work because you have to work your way down and resolve the initial
dependency which may be down at say , B1/bb/Bg/b7. before any of the higher
level things will work.  It rather quickly becomes a royal pima.

This is why CPAN needs to list it on the web site.

Aaron Johnson wrote:

> I saw reference in some of the advocacy thread to having some way to
> list what modules are dependent on others.  When I use CPAN (the module
> not the site) to install some modules it automatically installs the
> other required modules, but I assume this only works with modules that
> are on CPAN (the site not the module).  If a module has a dependency on
> an item outside of CPAN shouldn't CPAN allow for a hook or something
> that can tell CPAN where to look for a dependency?
>
> I also notice that not all modules will auto install dependent modules,
> i.e. Apache::ASP.  But most will.  I suppose this is all documented some
> where, but since I don't have anything on CPAN currently I haven't
> really looked.
>
> Did I miss understand the comments inside of the other thread?
>
> Aaron Johnson

Jimi Thompson
Web Master
L3 communications

"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."