On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Jason Leidigh wrote:

> I have a mod_perl module which I would like to protect.  The code is
> very "private" and I would like to have it exist only as perl byte
> code... which can be used each time the server may be restarted... is
> this possible?  How?  Thanks in advance and to those wo responded to
> may last question "Help me beat Java..."

If you're writing it as a handler, or mostly as a module, you can do this
using a source filter and some obfuscation. But note that this is *only*
obfuscation, and not compilation. However the same is true of Java
bytecode decompilers - they can produce *very* clean code from decompiling
bytecode. There's an example of an XOR filter in the Filter module source
code (I'm not talking about Apache::Filter here by the way, this is the
Filter.pm module from CPAN).

There are other techniques possible, but none are particularly reliable
and none will be 100% secure.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **