----- Original Message -----
From: "siberian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 11:41 PM
Subject: Re: the edge of chaos

> On this thread here is a question.
>
> Given a scenario with two machines serving web requests.
>
> Is it better to have 1 machine doing proxy and 1 machine doing mod perl or
> is it generally better to have each machine running a proxy and a mod
> perl?
>
> Lame question, I've never benchmarked differences, just curious what some
> of you think.

I haven't done any real testing either, although I now have a site spread
over 4 different machines.  My approach was to start by moving
the slowest mod_perl programs to a different backend-only box,
then moving more to somewhat balance the load,  then moving
the sql server off to a different box.  The 4th box is actually the
front end for several smaller sites plus the backend for a few
jobs from the main site.   The machines all have copies of all
the software so a slight reconfiguration could allow running
without any one of them at slightly less capacity.  Right now
everything is controlled by mod_rewrite on the front-end box
but the next update is going to be to put a hardware load balancer
in front of them.   Without hard numbers, I would guess that
running the front/back on the same box is slightly faster at
lower loads, but completely splitting front/back ends would
handle a slightly higher load before melting down due to
a little better memory sharing and disk cache handling where
each box only runs one version.

      Les Mikesell
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]