----- Original Message -----
From: "dreamwvr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Randal L. Schwartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Gunther Birznieks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Javascript - just say no(t required)

> hi,
>    Seems to me the only reasonable usage for cookies that does not
> seem to be abuse.org is as a temporary ticket granting system.. so
> the next time you want to get a byte you need a ticket to goto the
> smorg..

I think it is also very reasonable to store user-selected preferences
in cookies, especially for things likes sizes, colors, fonts for
certain pages.  Why should the server side have to store millions
of things like that?  Even if it does, the choices may be different
for the same user running a different browser.   Normally you
would have some default that would work for the cookie-challenged
folks anyway.

       Les Mikesell
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]