I'll say just a little now since i'm moving semi slowly on this project.

I'm working on writing a suite that at some point will have a calender
program in it.  The whole thing is perl based and the entire web enterface
is going to be done in mod perl. Whole setup will be databased
backed and released under the GPL.

As for a timeline,  I've been working more on the backend then any type of
display environment yet.  I'm starting to get into the front end now, so
by the end of the month, hopefully I will have something that can be shown
and that works reasonably well.

If you want more information about it, send me an e-mail offlist. As for
the statement that its not good to re-write something that exisits many
times for another language that works well,  Once I have the release, It
should make a good deal more sense.

Scott