> From: Steve Reppucci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:02:44 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: Upgrading mod_perl on production machine (again)
>
> I've always handled the support of multiple perl versions by installing
> new versions of perl using a prefix like /usr/local/perl/5.6.0, etc.,
> (I also place CPAN's build directory under that tree.)
>
> This makes it easy to install and test new versions of perl without
> affecting running applications that have been built against a previous
> perl version, as well as making it possible to test with specific versions
> just by referencing the appropriate version in the script's shebang line
> (or by setting my PATH appropriately when building mod_perl.)

That is what I do as well. Plus, I use the prefix arg to build Apache as well, so a
new mod_perl/Apache gets installed in a different dir than the current one when I run
make install. I then copy over my config files to the new dir, and set up the new
Apache to listen on a different port, then test it. Once tested, I point the
sym-links for both Apache and perl to the new locations.

This is whole process is scripted for me, for both Solaris and AIX, and works great
on both. (There are differences in the scripts, though, because of differences in the
OS)

BTW, for making sure you get all the modules your old perl had, look at the CPAN
module, which has a "autobundle" command to create a Bundle file from your old perl
installation, that you can then use with your new perl, by doing a "install
Bundle::BundleName".

David McCabe  Unix System Administrator
Le Groupe Videotron [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (514) 380 4433

How can we (men) possibly use sex to get what we want??
Sex _is_ what we want!!!
                      Dr Frasier Crane