face it, you are trying to perform surgery on a live subject...

with all the Makefiles you'll be making, (httpd, modperl, perl...) you're bound
to slip
on one of them and install over some of your existing stuff.

i went thru a conflict like this once, and avoided it by simply getting
a second machine, and installing all the new stuff there.

but, if someone can offer a procedure for setting up two independent httpd+modperl+perl
environments on one machine it would be pretty interesting!
(sorry, if this was already outlined in the responses last Sept)

-rolf