i think tuning like this is available already.
probably something like:

MinSpareServers 100
MaxSpareServers 110
StartServers 100
MaxClients 110

i haven't checked the source code to see if these values
might drive apache a little crazy (such a small range to work
in) , but it seems like the above would keep apache between 100-110
servers at all times.

you'd have to make sure Apache::GtopLimit wasn't killing
processes off too early or their would be lots of killing and
respawning of processes.

--
___cliff [EMAIL PROTECTED]http://www.genwax.com/