On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Sam Horrocks wrote:
> If in both the MRU/LRU case there were exactly 10 interpreters busy at
> all times, then you're right it wouldn't matter.  But don't confuse
> the issues - 10 concurrent requests do *not* necessarily require 10
> concurrent interpreters.  The MRU has an affect on the way a stream of 10
> concurrent requests are handled, and MRU results in those same requests
> being handled by fewer interpreters.

On a side note, I'm curious about is how Apache decides that child
processes are unused and can be killed off.  The spawning of new processes
is pretty agressive on a busy server, but if the server reaches a steady
state and some processes aren't needed they should be killed off.  Maybe
no one has bothered to make that part very efficient since in normal
circusmtances most users would prefer to have extra processes waiting
around than not have enough to handle a surge and have to spawn a whole
bunch.

- Perrin