There seems to be a lot of talk here, and analogies, and zero real-world
benchmarking.

Now it seems to me from reading this thread, that speedycgi would be
better where you run 1 script, or only a few scripts, and mod_perl might
win where you have a large application with hundreds of different URLs
with different code being executed on each. That may change with the next
release of speedy, but then lots of things will change with the next major
release of mod_perl too, so its irrelevant until both are released.

And as well as that, speedy still suffers (IMHO) that is still follows the
CGI scripting model, whereas mod_perl offers a much more flexible
environemt, and feature rich API (the Apache API). What's more, I could
never build something like AxKit in speedycgi, without resorting to hacks
like mod_rewrite to hide nasty URL's. At least thats my conclusion from
first appearances.

Either way, both solutions have their merits. Neither is going to totally
replace the other.

What I'd really like to do though is sum up this thread in a short article
for take23. I'll see if I have time on Sunday to do it.

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **