On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:13:14 -0500
> From: Bakki Kudva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [OT] Design Patterns in mod_perl apps?
>
> I am studying mod_perl and the GoF Desing Patterns book in parallel and
> had a few questions I would like to throw to the list.
>
> 1. Is there anyone who is using GoF design patterns (eg. Chain of
> Responsibility for handlers) in their mod_perl apps?

Well, I don't want to sound stupid, but I don't know what you're
talking about.  That's one of the hazards of having a degree in English
and not CS, I guess?  :)

> 2. Is the overhead of OO Perl acceptable for mod_perl apps, generally
> speaking?

Sure.

> 3. Are there any new patterns useful for mod_perl apps?

I'm not sure what was old or what constitutes new.  I tend to write a
lot of vanilla handlers.  I've looked into Mason and AxKit and such,
and they're fantastic, but just shifting $r and returning OK seems to
work really well most of the time.

> 4. Am I wasting my time with OO and design patterns if the goal was
> writing a mod_perl app?

Absolutely not.  If an OO design is appropriate, then use it.  When
I've wanted an object, I've created it.  I've even used OO methodology
to write base classes for handlers and deriving from them for other
handlers.  Just do what feels right and enjoy yourself.

ky