I think PerlSetVar is more popular because it's easier to implement and
doesn't require much effort.  ModuleConfig.pm is a bit more complex, but it
is still just straight perl and doesn't require XS to implement.  It depends
on your needs, though - I wouldn't use it when you only need a few config
directives but I might prefer it to a file-based config like BlockSymLinks
uses.

as far as the recompiling of mod_perl goes, that doesn't make sense to me.
Apache::Dispatch uses ModuleConfig for all it's parameters and you should be
good to go with just the typical make stuff.

--Geoff