Alistair

I believe this is because the Apache and mod_perl are threaded but the perl is not (optional/experimental).  So, the mod_perl serializes the use of perl.  Someday, it will be safe to use the options in the perl makefile to turn it on.

I'm on NT and 2000 as well and wish I wasn't.

Chuck

Hi.

I'm running Apache 1.3.14, mod_perl 1.24_02 on Windows 2000 sp1, but
I've seen this problem on other Win32 platforms.

Basically, no matter how many "threads" are set up in httpd.conf, when a
mod_perl URL is retreived, my apache will not service any other URLs
until the mod_perl URL is finished.

Apache on its own is OK, I can (say) download two 4MB files
simultaneously, but as soon as any mod_perl process gets going, all new
URLS "hang" until it completes.  If a long download is going on and the
mod_perl process starts, then the long download carries on AND the
mod_perl one works, but any new URL doesn't get serviced, whether
mod_perl or not.

I'm running with the pre-built ActiveState perl (5.6.0; build 618), and
the pre-built mod_perl at ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/ (made
by Randy Kobes), but I've seen this with a perl and a mod_perl that I've
compiled myself, running on NT4.0.

Is this a known problem, and are there any workarounds?  I'd be grateful
for any info.

Cheers,
Alistair