On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:
> > > I guess two persons "simpler" aren't always the same: I find it easier
> > > laying out a table and querying it than hacking something to fiddle with
> > > my crontab safely.
> >
> > As far as I know, crontab -e is perfectly safe.
>
> "crontab -l | foo" and "foo | crontab -" are your friends.
>
> as for putting cron into Apache: I don't understand why that's wanted
> in the first place. When connecting to the database outside the httpd
> it doesn't matter if it goes a little slow. And having separate
> programs to do the maintenance would easily be much simpler than
> trying to drop everything into the httpd.

Its just a convenience thing. I've wanted to be able to do this too, for
example to have emails go off at a particular interval. So yes, it can be
done as cron + URI, but I'm just jealous of AOLServer's ability to do it
all in one. This is especially important for a shrink-wrapped type
application, where asking people to install a crontab entry is just
another pain in the installation process (note that cron might be
different on different OS's, and so might the shell be, so this is a real
problem for some people - whereas if it were in Apache we'd know the
platform).

--
<Matt/>

     \\//