On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> Its just a convenience thing. I've wanted to be able to do this too, for
> example to have emails go off at a particular interval. So yes, it can be
> done as cron + URI, but I'm just jealous of AOLServer's ability to do it
> all in one. This is especially important for a shrink-wrapped type
> application, where asking people to install a crontab entry is just
> another pain in the installation process (note that cron might be
> different on different OS's, and so might the shell be, so this is a real
> problem for some people - whereas if it were in Apache we'd know the
> platform).

Maybe we should add process scheduling into Apache, and a file system, and
a window manager, and...

Okay, I'm being silly, and there are times when duplication is necessary,
but cron is such a well-established way of solving this problem that
anything else sounds strange.

The original post didn't say that the goal was to modify the scheduled
jobs dynamically from mod_perl, and that does add a new wrinkle.  I still
think a good Perl interface to cron would be more obvious and more
reliable.

- Perrin