you can place any Perl*Handler at a server level (well, except PerlHandler I
guess)
and it will apply to all requests received by the server.

PerlAccessHandler My::Access
  <Location ...

> My first try at this is:
>
> <Location />
>   SetHandler perl-script
>   PerlAccessHandler My::Access
> </Location>

well, <Directory> controls things of a filesystem basis and <Location>
controls on a URL basis.

for both <Directory> and <Location> / is kinda special - I think I remember
reading a thread on new-httpd that talked about why / was not merged the
same way as other places, but I'm not sure.  At any rate, you typically
don't see Perl*Handlers installed for /

see the apache docs on both directives for more general info...

HTH

--Geoff